Osteoporosis is defined as the thinning of bone tissue and/or the loss of bone density over time.
The primary goal of an osteoporosis treatment program is to slow and even reverse osteoporosis. And there IS the best form of exercise for people who have osteoporosis.
According to Dr. John R. Lee, Harvard-trained family physician – one of the important factors causing osteoporosis is the lack of the hormone progesterone. Progesterone deficiency causes a decrease in new bone formation.
Adding natural progesterone supplementation can actively increase bone mass and density and can reverse osteoporosis, especially in women in their thirties and older.
Restoration of bone loss with natural estrogen alone is usually ineffective.
This means that you should always use estrogen WITH progesterone to keep your hormones balanced and treat osteoporosis. Progesterone neutralizes the dangers of excess estrogen.
Also, you should understand that in the body, estrogen enhances bone absorption and progesterone stimulates new bone formation.
Dr. John R. Lee studied 100 of his women patients with osteoporosis – they ranged in age from the 30’s to the 80’s. 100% not only stopped bone loss, they began new bone formation! You can read about his study in his menopause book found on this site in the health bookstore.
To eliminate osteoporosis, you should do the following:
• Try to maintain an optimal weight. If you are overweight, you should exercise daily to control your weight. It is important for osteoporosis treatment to avoid inactivity and obesity. Activity puts “a load” on the skeletal structure: in other words, it “exercises” the bones!
For muscles, a lack of exercise equals atrophy, or shrinkage and weakness. For bones, no exercise equals bone “atrophy”.
Exercise strengthens bone tissue. Overweight conditions DO NOT encourage activity – rather, exactly the opposite!
What is the best exercise for people who have osteoporosis?
The answer is – weight-bearing exercise!
Weight lifting say 3 times a week would be great for building bone. A regular daily regimen of at least 30 minutes of brisk bicycling, treadmill, stair climber, walking, jogging, running and dancing can help your body make stronger bones and maintain bone mass. This statement is true, no matter what your age.
• Exercise at least 3-4 hours per week to maintain your ideal weight, reduce inches, stay fit and strengthen your bones. Regular exercise can reduce the likelihood of bone fractures associated with osteoporosis.
Exercise is the primary stimulant for skeletal development and maintenance. Athletes have stronger bones than non-athletes. Exercise is a great stress reducer and also regulates your metabolism.
• Reduce the number of highly sugared drinks, candy bars, ice cream, and sodas (especially if you consume them excessively).
• Increase consumption of organic fruits and vegetables. It’s especially important for osteoporosis treatment to add green leafy vegetables to your diet. Vegetables and fruits are packed with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants which together are very beneficial for your health.
• Increase your consumption of cold-water fish to 3 times a week (salmon, tuna, mackerel, cod). Farmed salmon is often artificially colored with added synthetic pigments to mask its naturally-occurring, unappetizing pale gray color.
By contrast, wild salmon eat an all-natural marine diet rich in krill and shrimp; these natural prey give wild salmon its beautiful meat color, which ranges from pink to orange to red across species.
Also, farmed salmon are fed a steady diet of antibiotics to assist growth. Not true with wild salmon, which grow naturally in their habitat.
Finally, the fish meal and fish oils fed to farmed salmon have a direct impact on PCB levels (a industrial byproduct which has been identified as a probable human carcinogen).
With all that considered, it’s clear to us the qualities of all-natural wild salmon makes it the fish you want to buy.
Fish promotes growth and structure; it also protects you from degenerative diseases so common in this modern age. In the Netherlands, researchers have found that just one serving of fish per week substantially reduced the incidence of coronary heart disease.
Learn more about Omega-3 fatty acids and the health benefits of eating cold-water fish and the Omega-3 content.
Recent research shows that many people do benefit greatly from supplementing their diet with vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients and herbs. Take multiple vitamin supplements every day for better health. There are some news reports indicating various foods are deficient in basic vitamins and minerals.
Osteoporosis treatment also requires a daily supplement of calcium citrate, magnesium taurate, vitamin D and 2,000 mg vitamin C.
• For osteoporosis treatment, natural progesterone cream should be your first choice. Dr. Lee’s success with his women patients makes it very clear. Natural progesterone cream can be absorbed into the blood stream on a continuous basis as the body needs it.
Massage 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of cream twice daily to any of the following areas: hands, belly, inner arms, face, neck, thighs, buttocks and breasts until absorbed, alternating application sites.
Use for 21 days or as needed. Discontinue for 7 days (when you are having your period) and repeat every month. Read more about USP Natural Progesterone here.
• If you are postmenopausal or if you have had a hysterectomy, you should also be using natural estrogen cream (estriol cream) supplementation if you are experiencing hot flashes, night sweats or vaginal dryness.
After menopause, or if you have had a hysterectomy, your levels of estrogen go down 40-60 percent of earlier levels. Use 2.5 to 5 mg of estriol cream daily or every other day.
Estrogen and progesterone can be used together during a three-week or 24- to 25- day time period each month, leaving five to seven days each month without either hormone. Read more about natural estrogen products.
• ALCOHOL has estrogenic properties that make it a problem beyond its well-known toxic properties. But the benefits of wine to the vascular system are real, and so wine – in judicious amounts – has a healthy place in your diet.
But most doctors recommend the consumption of no more than 2 glasses of red or white wine per day – and then, no more than 2 or 3 times per week.
• Drink several glasses of water per day. Water also aids in metabolizing fat, causing weight reduction. Water helps you clear waste and toxins from your body, and lowers your levels of histamines (which helps reduce allergic symptoms). Learn more about the health benefits of water and using a quality water filter.