Depression medication side effects should be understood so there are no surprises!
Feeling unhappy has become big business! Today you can find children, teenagers, pregnant women, women with postpartum depression, the elderly and a great deal of adults using a depression medication.
Side effects may be caused by taking antidepressant drugs. In general, the depression medication side effects are temporary and mild and each person may react to antidepressants differently.
Some people have few or no depression medication side effects and others will take antidepressants for depression or mania which will cause new symptoms and additional psychiatric medications to be prescribed.
However, if any adverse and unusual reactions are noticed, always report them immediately to your health care provider.
Unfortunately, we all have gotten used to take depression medication with lots of antidepressants side effects – frequently the medical profession and the pharmaceutical industry trivializes the risks of these drugs.
If you have to take depression drugs, the best alternative is to start with a low dose and go slow. This will allow your body to adjust… it is always recommended that you increase your dosage slowly.
When you rapidly increase your medicine intake, you may get unpleasant depression side effects more frequently.
Many synthetic antidepressant drugs become patented by changing the molecular structure of the natural substance. This may sound like a good idea, but the addition or subtraction of a few atoms of a molecule can have huge different effects in our bodies. It is these differences that give men and women depression medication side effects.
Here are depression medication side effects, depression side affects and an antidepressants side effect partial list and some suggestions for dealing with them:
• Blurred vision – this condition is usually temporary and should pass.
• Bladder problems and urinary retention – it can become difficult to empty the bladder and the urine stream may become weaker. Let your doctor know if you have urinary tract pain.
• Constipation, diarrhea and other gastrointestinal disturbances – gradually increase daily consumption of high fiber foods such as bran cereals, dried figs, prunes, fruit and vegetables.
• Dizziness – when getting up from a chair or the bed, do so slowly. Be extra careful in the bathroom and around stairs.
• Drowsiness and sedation – in the daytime, feeling drowsy can be a problem. Taking the antidepressants that tend to make persons drowsy is usually done at bedtime in harmony with sleep time. You may also need to be careful when driving or operating machinery.
• Dry mouth – increase the amount of water consumed during the day, drinking small quantities frequently will help you with this side effect.
• Sexual problems or low sex drive – if difficulties with sexual function occur, discuss with your doctor.
• Weight gain and bloating – exercise 4 to 5 days of the week to help you with depression plus lose a few pounds and excess body fat.
Exercise improves your mood, self esteem, your brain chemistry, increases the production of serotonin, norepinephrine plus dopamine, improves insomnia and it also boosts your immune system which helps fight depression.
• Inability to have an orgasm for both men and women and difficulty achieving an erection.
Depression medication side effects for the newer antidepressant medicines can include these adverse reactions:
• Headaches and migraines,
• Muscle spasms,
• Increased depression and suicidal tendencies,
• Nausea – another of the temporary depression medication side effects that tends to occur after taking the medicine,
• Insomnia – having difficulty in falling asleep or waking up frequently during the night can happen in the first few weeks of beginning the antidepressant. Reducing the dosage can help or simply continue the regular dosage and this side effect may go away,
• Agitation, nervousness and panic – if these side effects occur after the drug is taken for the first time and persists, notify the doctor,
• Sexual problems, low libido??? – in this case, consult with your doctor immediately.