Breast cancer statistics show that breast cancer affects the lives and health of millions worldwide.
Here are some interesting breast cancer statistics:
• 1- Over 2 million cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed this year worldwide, according to the World Health Organization.
• 2- About 75% of breast cancers are found in women over age 50.
• 3- The chance of having breast cancer for a woman in her fifties is about 1 in 50.
• 4- The chance of having breast cancer for a woman in her nineties is about 1 in 9.
• 5- About 80% of women diagnosed with breast cancer have no family history of breast cancer.
• 6- Men also get breast cancer, however, men account for less than one percent of all breast cancer cases – breast cancer statistics.
Surviving breast cancer and breast cancer statistics- here’s what this clinical study found…
For breast cancer statistics and prevention, it has long been known that regular physical activity has been shown to decrease the likelihood of having breast cancer.
What has not been known or studied has been the effect of regular physical activity on the likelihood of death in women that already have been diagnosed with breast cancer. That is, until now.
The findings of the study as reported by the American Medical Association’s Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) back in 2005 were astounding!
Certain participants in the study of women with Stage I, II or III breast cancer achieved a 50% reduction in the death rate from breast cancer!
The journal reported that in the study 2,987 female registered nurses had been diagnosed with breast cancer during the years 1984 to 1998.
What the study found was that the women who had physical activity equivalent to walking at a steady pace of 2 to 3 miles per hour for 3 to 5 hours a week had a death rate of only 50% of the death rate of women who had physical activity equivalent to walking less than one hour a week.
The conclusion of the breast cancer statistics study was that physical activity after breast cancer has been diagnosed may reduce the risk of death from breast cancer. The study found that there was little evidence of any relation between increased physical activity and increased benefit.
Maybe it’s time to get out those walking shoes! We editors of safemenopausesolutions.com were astounded by the findings of this important clinical study…
As a physical activity, walking can be done almost anytime by anyone anywhere. The only equipment that’s needed is a good pair of walking shoes. Besides the incredible findings of the breast cancer statistics study, walking provides other important health benefits.
It helps with weight control, bone strength, elevates mood, helps build and maintain healthy muscles, joints and heart. As for injuries, walking has the lowest injury rate of all the various kinds of exercise.
You can walk with a partner, friend, family member or dog, or even a neighbor’s dog. Or you can walk with your favorite headset and music. If you are walking outdoors with a headset, keep one ear open to hear the sounds around you.
As for basic walking tips:
• As you begin regular walking, take it easy. Standard advice is to check with your physician before starting any exercise program. If it’s been years or decades since you walked regularly, perhaps you can begin with 5 minutes of walking and slowly increase your time and distance.
• Walking at a pace of 75 – 95 steps a minute will have you walking at a speed of about 2 to 3 miles per hour.
• Walk with your head up, looking out in front of you. Do not walk looking down right in front of you except to navigate any obstacles.
• Really take it easy the first 5 minutes of walking to warm up. After, stretch for 5 – 10 minutes while your muscles are warm.
• Practice good walking form. Your arms should swing naturally in the direction you’re walking, not from side to side across your body. Your foot should strike the ground on your heel, then a rolling motion forward toward the ball of your foot, then pushing off with your toes.
Here are great walking shoes for women…. a wide selection with first-class customer service as well as competitive prices. You can sort the selections by customer reviews which is valuable information.
And here are some basic walking shoes tips:
Obviously, shopping online is a great way to have the top-reviewed walking shoes you need.
However, if you’ll be shopping locally:
• Buy your walking shoes from a sporting shoes store with large selections. That will give you plenty of choices.
• Buy cushioned, supportive walking shoes. To see if a shoe is supportive, do this test – take a shoe and turn it upside down. Holding each end of the shoe, try to fold it. If you find the shoe bends in the middle, then that shoe is not a supportive shoe. A supportive shoe should bend where your foot normally bends, near your toes.
• You should allow the width of your index finger between the end of your shoe and the end of your longest toe, or about one-half inch.
• Buy two pairs of walking shoes – one for home and one for the car or workplace. And if one pair gets wet, you can use the other pair that day.
Walking is the closest thing to the perfect exercise. In today’s fast-paced society, regular walking can be a welcomed break from the stress of the day. Maybe you’ll get to know your neighborhood or neighbors better.
There may be walking trails you’ve never seen but wanted to. Wherever and however you choose to walk, not only can the experience be fun, you’ll know you’re being good to your body in a variety of ways.