By the way, mood disorders affect over 20 million people in the USA alone.
Bipolar depression is a mental disorder previously called manic depression.
Bipolar disorder is another form of depressive illness characterized by experiences of great highs and lows.
One side of the illness leaves the person suffering from severe depression while the other side gives them a feeling of manic high that makes them feel better than they could ever feel in a normal stage.
Sadly, those people who have bipolar depression or bipolar mood disorders depression are likely to have to deal with more severe symptoms than those who must deal with unipolar disorders or unipolar depression.
As well, despite the fact that bipolar disorder specifically means that there are two halves to the problem, i.e., the person will spend more of their time in the depressed state than in either the state of normal or mania.
Types of bipolar depression, disorders, mood disorders depression or manic depressive illnesses:
• 1- Bipolar I disorder or bipolar depression I – a person who suffers from intense manic episodes (exuberant, very self-confident, grandiose plans, suspicious, euphoric, paranoid, explosive, very irritable, agitated, disorganized, delusional, etc…) followed by long mood disorders depression or depressive episodes. This is viewed as the most severe bipolar disorder.
• 2- Bipolar II disorder or bipolar depression II – this person is characterized by having less intense manic periods called hypomania, followed by intense mood disorders depression periods.
• 3- Cyclothymia is another bipolar depression disorder – this milder manic depressive illness has short periods of depression followed by short episodes of hypomania.
This condition manifests itself with unstable and frequent mood swings, alcohol and drug dependancy, promiscuous behavior, extravagant episodes, suicidal tendencies and much more.
Bipolar depression – treatment and symptoms
Bipolar depression has the following symptoms:
• 1- Variations in appetite – weight loss connected to no appetite or weight gain because of excessive food intake,
• 2- Trouble sleeping or sleeping excessively (insomnia and hypersomnia) in an irregular pattern,
• 3- Extreme fatigue, lethargic, lack of motivation and very tired,
• 4- Irritable, anxious, agitated, critical, dissatisfied and restless,
• 5- Increased activity by trying to handle several tasks at the same time followed by no activity at all, inability to complete tasks… shifts interests constantly without completing anything,
• 6- Low sex drive, trouble maintaining relationships,
• 7- Frequent suicidal thoughts, wishing you were not alive or death thoughts,
• 8- Difficult to explain physical ailments that frequently do not go away with treatment – headaches, back pains, digestive problems, chronic pain, frequent colds, constipation, stomach problems and more,
• 9- Feelings of guilt, hopelessness, worthlessness for no apparent reason, delusional thinking and psychotic thinking.
Bipolar sufferers during the state of mania may have to deal with delusions of grandeur, inflated self-esteem, arrogant and possibly even believing (false beliefs) that they have super powers or have become very important people.
Sometimes they believe that they are responsible for bad things that happen to the important people in their lives or even to those that they merely pass by.
They can have paranoid and psychotic episodes and be certain that someone is out to get them, even believing that there are listening devices in their homes or vehicles. Or perhaps it is aliens that they fear.
No matter what the fear, it is a frightening time for bipolar depression suffers.
Bipolar depression is also characterized by excessive purchasing of items that after may be kept in the box unopened and forgotten. Impulsive purchases are quite common with people with these mental illnesses.
If the bipolar sufferer is having a low episode without the paranoid delusions, they might suffer extreme sadness, consider themselves unworthy, be irritable, angry or feel hopeless.
They may have weight issues because of increased or decreased appetite. They often abuse drugs and/or alcohol. Like many depressives, they may withdraw from family and friends feeling unable to cope with those they are normally close to.
During this time, their relationships may suffer badly, and sometimes the damaged may be irreparable. Those suffering from bipolar disorder and mood disorders depression are more likely to lose productive work time, sometimes even lose their jobs because of being unable to handle the responsibility, the lack self-control and not using good judgment in their decisions.
If they are students, their studies can also suffer as would be seen by grades that fall during a depressive episode. They are more likely to have troubled relationships, to commit suicide and have some volatile anger.
The manic side of bipolar disorder can also have some odd behaviors even during this feeling of incredible euphoria. It is a time of great confidence, often overconfidence and it can be compared to a feeling of artificial happiness.
Like other types of mood disorders depression, bipolar depression has no cure. But there are bipolar depression treatments that have shown success but with some side effects. With a combination of medications or bipolar depression treatment and therapy, people can live relatively normal lives with this disorder.
It is when they are going through a manic or normal phase that trouble often comes as they decide that it is all okay and the medication is no longer necessary.
This must be watched by those close to them to help ensure that they do not stop using their medications or bipolar depression treatment as this can often result in another major depressive episode.
Books about bipolar depression and depression treatment and symptoms.
Depression-Free, Naturally: 7 Weeks to Eliminating Anxiety, Despair, Fatigue and Anger from Your Life by Joan Mathews Larson
This book will give information about bipolar depression (manic depression), obsessive compulsive disorder depression, mood disorders depression, depression treatment and symptoms. It will help heal depression and anxiety by using vitamins and minerals.
•1- Learn how to stabilize your mood swings and protect your well-being with essential fatty acids
•2- Choose the right foods for optimal mental fitness
•3- Rejuvenate your body with key natural hormones
Bipolar depression and mood disorders depression related articles
Depression signs and mood disorders depression.
Signs of depression and bipolar depression.
Are you suffering with clinical depression and depressive illnesses?
Post partum depression symptoms and treatment.
Depression hurts and it is a complex illness!
Overview of depression medications and risks and benefits.
What is ECT for depression treatment?
Learn about medications for anxiety and depression disorder.
Leave a Reply